ME

My photo
I live in southern kentucky with my husband of 27 yrs. I am starting a hobby farm with goats rabbits chickens 2 dogs and 1 cat. I love being around animals and caring for them. I have a small greenhouse my husband built for me that I grow all different plants in and I love doing crafts. Pretty much anything where I can be outside or be creative is right up my alley. My philosophy on life is a little dirt under your nails, poop on your shoes and slobby on your cheek keeps the men in the white coats away. lol. Everyone should be so lucky.

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Lets get started.

    HI. I enjoy reading other peoples blogs so I thought ? Why not write my own. I don't think my stuff is anything out of the ordinary but I'm sure others thought the same thing when they started blogging. Myself, reading blogs gives me the chance to pick out little tidbits of stuff that I can impliment into my own doings. You know tips and tricks. Well I started out gettting 6 chickens last fall and was bitten by the hobby farm bug. Since that first chicken dance, I have gotten more chickens, ordered day old chicks from a hatchery. We started getting eggs this spring and I thought? All I have to do is hatch my own and I won't have to pay someone else to do it. My awsome hubby built me an incubator and I was in egg heaven. We hatched out about 30 eggs, about a 70% hatch rate for our diy bator, and everyones doing pretty good. We've lost a few to rain, predators, and poopy butt, but I think we did good for being a newbie.
   Then I got a couple rabbits, 2 does. Well you can't have baby bunnies with out a buck so, you guess it, I brought Bugsy home. Since ,we have had 3 baby bunches. The first doe had 9 babies, wow. then she died when they were 10 days old, oh no. So I became foster mommy and bottle fed twice a day, We lost 3 babies from trying to find the right combination for milk. But I think thats pretty good odds considering they didn't even have thier eyes open. Also in the process of bunnies, we got to Lamancha bottle babies. Lord I think I had a bottle permantly stuck to my hand for a few weeks. By I would do it again. Its incredible to watch a baby animal you are giving nurishment to, growing and expierencing thier first adventures of life. Ok thats it for now, I will continue my venture later. Have a great day and smile its catchy.

No comments:

Post a Comment