ME

My photo
I live in southern kentucky with my husband of 27 yrs. I am starting a hobby farm with goats rabbits chickens 2 dogs and 1 cat. I love being around animals and caring for them. I have a small greenhouse my husband built for me that I grow all different plants in and I love doing crafts. Pretty much anything where I can be outside or be creative is right up my alley. My philosophy on life is a little dirt under your nails, poop on your shoes and slobby on your cheek keeps the men in the white coats away. lol. Everyone should be so lucky.

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Scene 2 of getting started

  Hello again, Well at this point we are up to almost a hundred chickens, 16 rabbits and then the goats. We got our to Lamancha bottle babies goats, Sarge and Sammi. They are both bucks, growing like weeds, and we even go out and play with them. Its so funny to watch Rich ( my hubby ) take off running across the pasture and there goes Sarge and Sammi, the race is on. Then in 1 weeks time I came across 3 more Lamancha does and then 2 Nubian Boer cross does. Well the 3 first girls we got, one is a 4 yr old momma with a month old baby girl on her side whom we named Big Momma and Sugar. Big Momma is so petted she thinks she is a dog, you can do anything with her. Sugar, not so much, She is so cute but we have some work to do with here to get her to bond with us. I found out raisins will make her forget all about her fears, she loves them. The other one that came with them is a 4 month old little girl who is the sweets thing, she loves to be petted and loved on. We named her Cinnamon cause of her color, I just adore her.
  Then came the two Nubain Boer doe's, OMG. They are about a year old and wilder then sin. Its taking alot of time and patience to get them tamed down, they will never be as friendly as my other goats but I hope to at least be able to get my hands on them to be able to take care of thier feet and give them thier shots. ( They don't like raisins. ) We've do have them now coming up and sniffing our hands before they bolt, thats a little progress anyway. Oh by the way we named them Laverne and Shirley, Don't ask me , Rich came up with it. But it fits in a wierd kind of way.
  And that pretty much brings us up to date. We tried to seperate the chickens into divided pens by thier breed, ya well that didn't work. Everyone flys over the fence to go visiting, and yes we cut thier wings. We have hen houses for everyone but they prefer to have sleepovers in everybody elses houses. The other day our 2 guineas started going nuts, Rich walked out there and there was a red tail hawk boldly sitting on the fence between two pens. We've had a couple of chicks missing, I guess he thinks he's won the lottery with all our chickens but I have news for him, he's wrong. I know thats all part of having animals but the fight is on.

No comments:

Post a Comment